Sunday, September 7, 2008

Sunday night treat?

So- I kind of forget that I have a blog most days…

Cami and I were hanging out tonight and we were talking to Paul and Kerry and decided that we wanted to make sopapillas’s.

I thought it would be fun and it sounded yummy anyway… So Cami told me that she had yeast and since it was 6pm – I figured there would be time to make them… Yum, Sunday night treat.
Then I found a recipe on line that didn’t require any yeast (I learned the scorched milk trick) so I was excited to try it out! We were out of milk so Cassidy brought some over for us (Thanks Cass!) - So off I went to experiment with the recipe and my sopapilla skills J

Then Paul said how great they tasted with Caramel, so I though I could make that too. I heard once how to make it with condensed milk by just boiling the can in water.

So the caramel was started and the sopapillas mixed and oil was heated –
In goes the first clump of dough… it turned brown in 2 seconds and I pulled it out. It was a little brick on the outside and dough on the inside… well a few minor adjustments to the temperature and the thickness of the dough and I have to say they turned out better than I thought after the first dough went in! They were actually pretty yummy.
We tried cinnamon and sugar, honey (that was old) whoever said honey lasts forever.. um false.
And just good ‘ol butter mmmmm.
We also fried up some store bought tortilla dough that Cami had – those kind of made thin chips. They were all pretty good though.
But 1.5 hrs later the ‘caramel’ still was not done. So, I thought I would just let it keep going.
Kerry and Cami kept complaining that their eyes were burning and we figured it was from the oil. ???
In the mean-time I got busy looking for some incriminating photos on my camera for them to mock, when something was definitely not smelling right.
I went to check on the caramel and the water had completely boiled out and I burned yet ANOTHER pan! (I go through more pan’s than anyone ought to admit to!) - seriously I forget about boiling eggs, pasta, whatever… tonight just happened to be caramel.
I was so excited that our house might smell like something other than onions for two days, ( anticipating a baked yummy small of sopapilla’s! But now we just get burned caramel pan smell. And stinging eyes.
Gosh nothing like fun Sunday treats- Come on over, we’ll share!

2 comments:

Cami D. said...

Ha ha ha ha ha!! That caramel looks like pooh, I couldn't bring myself to taste it, I used Kerry's smuckers instead! :) YOU BURNED ANOTHER PAN - seriously, who does that? Not a bad idea...next time let's use the yeast and start at 4:00 then we can have Indian Tacos AND sopapilla's! :) Good job JP, it was great (except my crazy eye burning experience) none the less!

It doesn't smell like burnt caramel...just like oil. Gee!

Janell said...

...giggling, giggling! I LOVE YOU GUYS!