Monday, August 4, 2008

Eggs and Spinach?


So Lately I have been eating a fair share of eggs…
And not that this is directly related… but spinach. Every time I eat spinach it makes my teeth feel funny…
So, I just had to check into it. And I figured while I was at it I would try to also figure out why some hard boiled eggs are so hard to peel… and I did but here is some cool stuff about spinach that no one should ever need to know and the coolest egg trick ever… I am going to try it!!!... – well.. in the morning!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PN2gYHJNT3Y

Oh - and about the spinach : Why does eating cooked spinach make my teeth feel funny?Spinach contains a large amount of oxalate crystals - mineral salts of oxalic acid. When spinach is cooked, especially canned, heat-processed spinach, some of the spinach cell wall structure is damaged and oxalate crystals leak out. It is this oxalate that gives your teeth and mouth that fuzzy coated feeling. Spinach is also rich in calcium, and calcium oxalate crystals deposit on the teeth, coating them with plaque. Not much oxalate is released when eating fresh spinach because you chew it for only a short time. People who have problems with kidney function should avoid spinach and other foods that contain oxalate, because of the increased risk of producing oxalate stones in their kidneys.
And-
Spinach contains oxalic acid, which combines with the calcium in your saliva to produce the furry feeling on your teeth. Rhubarb, chard and beetroot leaves will all do the same.

See that might just be too much info!

2 comments:

Cami D. said...

I am quite sure Rachel will love this post. HA! Oh and she sure tried to blow the egg out this morning, all she got was some shell on her lips!

MyR said...

I'll have to say that I don't think I will ever know that fuzzy feeling on my teeth...at least from spinach, rhubarb, chard and beetroot leaves. No thanks! Is it like morning sweaters on your teeth, because I know that feeling.